Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee
Ziegelsee, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
Schwerin 19055, Germany
“We want to show that tourism and ecology go hand in hand, and that sustainability can be implemented in the upscale hotel industry. With each ecological step, we want to increase the well-being of the guests and reduce our emissions.” Family Hirte-Petersen
Wake up with the sun and take a fresh breeze of sea air, what a wonderful way to start the morning! The former granary has been transformed to a 4-star wellness.
The hotel also features a restaurant called "aurum", with fine regional cuisine and organic products, a lakeside terrace with romantic sunsets, a bistro, a piano bar, an on-site boat launch, a sauna and fitness area, meeting and conference rooms for up to 90 people.
The hotel offers bikes, pedelecs and even an electric car. The old town is within walking distance (about 20 minutes). The hotel is an insiders' tip for many who appreciate a tasteful, individual and sustainable atmosphere and great service.
- Location - Schwerin consists of 11 beautiful lakes. Numerous protected areas border the city and the Baltic Sea is only 35 km away.
- Water - start the day with a jump from the dock in "The Ziegelsee ". Sailing, fishing, swimming, water skiing - the Schwerin lakes are a paradise for water sports enthusiasts
- If you like it more comfortable, you can walk directly outside the hotel to the ships of the White Fleet and in 40 min you can sail to the castle
“The Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee in Schwerin was certified by Viabono in October 2005 as the first hotel in the region Mecklenburg-Schwerin”
being local - authentic experiences
- Art: Schwerin State Museum with its excellent international reputation is well-known for its extensive collection of the old Dutchman
- Culture: the Mecklenburg State Theatre with its classical theatre construction offers something for every taste. Highlight of each year is the Castle Festival with opera performances in the Old Garden with the backdrop of the Schwerin fairytale castle. For this event guests from across Germany come to Mecklenburg-West Pomerania.
- Architecture: stay within the walls of a former granary. During daytime explore Schwerin Castle, the Old Town, the cathedral, etc.
- Cuisine: the restaurant “aurum” is one of the best addresses in the state capital. Regional cuisine combined with bio-style
Rooms & Amenities
- 78 rooms and suites in different categories – many with lake view
- Lobby Fireplace
- Restaurant “aurum” with sundeck terrace overlooking the lake
- 1 bar
- Boat dock, jetty, boat charter
- Gym, sauna, solarium, swimming lake, cosmetics and massage
- Rental office for bikes, Pedelecs and electric cars
Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Schwerin – Philosophy
Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Schwerin aims to take active responsibility for environmental protection. The diversity of natural and scenic beauty of Mecklenburg are the greatest wealth of this region.
The owners have made it their mission to help ensure that this treasure can be discovered anew every day and at the same time preserves.
“We want to show that tourism and ecology go hand in hand, and that sustainability can be achieved in the upscale hotel industry. With each ecological measure, we want to increase the well-being of the guests and reduce polluting emissions.” – Hirte-Petersen family
Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Schwerin – Green Initiatives
- 2005: Viabono membership
- 20187: first climate-positive hotel in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
- CO2 footprint
- Climate Protection Project Panama
- Electric mobility
- Climate Protection Project Moor Futures
- Organic products
2005 membership – Viabono
- in October 2005 the hotel was certified by the umbrella brand Viabono as the first carbon-neutral hotel in the region Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- Viabono offers tourism that is natural, qualitative and delightful
- all Viabono members undergo a strict qualifying examination
- the qualifying examination contains general environmental standards (waste, energy, water) and comfort factors (nature, wellness, family)
- with the help ofViabono the hotel fulfills the requirements of a certified and ecological hotel management
2017 first climate-positive hotel in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
- since seven years the hotel Speicher compiles it carbon footprint and every year it received the distinction “climate-neutral hotel”. In 2017 it was awarded as the first “climate-positive hotel” in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
- cofounder of the initiative “Klima-Hotels of Germany”
- the Klima-Hotels belong to the most ecologically friendly hotels in Germany
- Viabono is certifier of the CO2 footprint – which is anew calculated every year – for the hotel “Speicher”, on the basis of the accruing CO2 emissions in the company
- for the calculation all carbon-relevant processes are included in the sections energy, building and technology, food, cleaning, print, delivery channels, etc.
- even the employees’ journey to the workplace with distance and means of transportation is considered into the calculation
- the average emission of a hotel (in the category 4 stars) amounts to 35 kg CO2 per overnight stay
- in 2012 the hotel Speicher’s emission was 13.35 kg CO2 per overnight stay
- the Klima-Hotels have committed themselves to reduce their carbon emissions continuously and to compensate the remaining emissions by investments in approved climate projects
Climate Protection Project Panama
- in 2003 the climate hotels and CO₂OL have afforested 6.2 hectares of wood in Panama, a surface almost as largely as 9 football fields
- due to the high amount of local tree species and the reforestation in mixed cultures an ecosystem, which offers new living spaces to animals and plants, is created
- Original living spaces are developed
- since 2011 the hotel deals with the subject electric mobility
- beside electric bicycles the hotel also offers electric passenger cars for rent
- in order for guests to charge the electric vehicles, the hotel has installed an electric filling station, so that guests can load their electric vehicles free of charge
- guests thereby receive the opportunity to test this innovative technology and at the same time are able to explore the area climate-neutrally
- thanks to the support of the WEMAG there are approx. 20 filling stations in popular holiday destinations in the vicinity
Climate Protection Project Moor Futures
- this Moor Futures Project was developed by the ministry of agriculture in close collaboration with the college of Greifswald and the inc. NABU
- for the first time, in 2012, the caused greenhouse gas was compensated by renaturation of drained moor surfaces in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
- moors exist of peat which has bound a lot of carbon in organic form. As a result of the drainage of moors, carbon reacts with the oxygen to one the most important greenhouse gas. The dismantling of the peat into carbon dioxide is stopped by the renaturation of the former moor surfaces
- organic district heating of the municipal utilities Schwerin is used
- 100% ecological stream of the power company WEMAG AG,
- 0.2ct. per kWh are invested in renewable energy
- with every technical achievement maximum energy efficiency and environmental compatibility are assured
- use of numerous products of regional and organic origin for the breakfast buffet and the restaurant
- vegetables and bread, for example, are mostly bought from the nearby organic farm „Medewege”
- fair trade organic coffee
- large part of the offered wines are labelled „organic“
- the certification occurs through the ecological board of control inc.
- in 2013 all climate hotels have signed the Diversity Charta. Therewith the companies voluntarily committed themselves to create a comfortable working environment, which is free of prejudices
- all employees are esteemed regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or world view, impediment, age, sexual orientation and identity
- the hotels are convinced that the recognition and support of these varied potentials create economic advantages