Strandhotel Kurhaus Juist
Juist 26571, Germany
“You are a special person. Distinctive, unique. Like we are. We create special worlds of experiences and wild joy. We make a difference as a hotel. A difference for you.” Strandhotel Kurhaus Juist
The Strandhotel Kurhaus Juist, also known as "White Castle by the sea" stamps the island Juist with its seaside resort architecture since 1898.
But not only the location at the miles long beach but also the varied wellness offers contribute to relaxation and deceleration. The Strandhotel Kurhaus Juist is Thalasso certified with an own sea water well. There are different saunas, a Rasul steam bath and a swimming hall with a gorgeous sea view.
While the parents are relaxing in the spa, the little ones are being entertained in the hotels's child care. Spend a wonderful time with many unique experiences at the sustainable Strandhotel Kurhaus Juist.
- Thalasso certified with own sea water well
- Direct location at the beach
- Spacious rooms
- Child Care
being local - authentic experiences
Rooms & Amenities
- 70 Rooms, Apartments und Suites
- Four comfortable Double Rooms, approx. 20 m²
- Gallery Apartments, 40 m² with 5 Meter Ceiling
- Junior Suites South, approx. 28-34m²
- Junior Suites Northeast, approx. 34 m²
- Junior Suites North, approx. 34 m²
- Superior Suites South or Southeast, 44 m²
- Superior Suites North or Northeast, 38 m²
- Grand Suites South, two levels, 45-83 m²
- 2 Restaurants
- Fireplace bar
- Swimming Hall
- LE.S.P.A-Huge Wellness area with Thalasso treatment
On the 1st of October 1897 the construction works of the Kurhaus Juist on a dune course above the island village started. After only 290 days on 1st of July 1898 the work had been finished and the Kurhaus was opened.
A 3-story luxury building had appeared with amphoras and roof figures that should meet the high demands of the potential guests. Still today the basic parts of the building are conserved.
Already short time after the opening the Kurhaus was altered in parts, at the latest probably after the hurricane flood in 1906, were the open foyer and the South terrace with the “white hall situated behind it” was closed to the sea as the climate of the North Sea was too rough for the originally construction.
Since 1906 Eduard Oldewurtel owned and managed the house and handed it over to his son Hans Günther Oldewurtel in August 1954, who sold it in 1976 to Werner Klee. He soon after started refurbishing the house through which unfortunately the old floor coverings were destroyed.
In the same year the white hall and the facade were put under preservation order, and soon after payment difficulties lead to sale of the house to Herbert Hillenbrand. In spite of various ideas for the re-use nothing happened for four years and the house became derelict. In 1995 the Commerzbank decided on the reconstruction and planed a reopening as a health resort hotel with 75 rooms, flatlets and condominiums.
After 2,5 costly and thrilling years it was finally done. With a lot of idealism the house met the cultural as well as the requirements of the preservation order.
The Green Initiatives of Strandhotel Kurhaus Juist
- Water Management
- Waste Management
- Social Engagement
Historical building which had been modernised according to the regulations of the preservation order
Cogeneration unit provides energy and heat for the entire hotel
- Sea water wells: own well provides the whole spa area with fresh sea water for thalasso therapies. (All together there are only six such wells worldwide)
- Toilets with water saving flush
- Washing machines are put into operation only with complete filling
- Towel change only at explicit wish of the guest
Seperation and Avoidance
Purchase of regional products whenever possible
- Social engagement by Juist Foundation, local sport, schools
- Education programs
- Staff Training
- If possible employment of local people