How Guests can contribute to climate protection
The way to become climate-neutral the inhabitats of Juist can only realize together with their guests. Here you find some tips how you can support the project Climate island Juist and contribute to our future.
TIPS WE ALL SHOULD CONSIDER WHEREVER WE ARE
- Switch off your electrical appliances after use instead of standby modus, which saves yearly about 14 billion kWh (2 Power stations have to work a whole year round-the-clock)
- Use of energy savings lamps, as they save electricity and reduce the CO2 output (if your land lord does not use energy-saving lightening yet, your suggestion might help)
- The cooking pot should match with the cooking zone, so the heat is being used efficiently.
- The pot lid and the amount of water makes the difference. Four servings of potatoes can be boiled with only one cup of water. This saves up to 25% of energy.
- In an air circulation oven, you can bake at four levels at the same time. Since the aromas do not mix, even different dishes can be cooked together.
- A fridge should never be opened for a long time and be put away in a clear manner.
- It is advisable for washing to always use the maximum capacity of the washing machine, only use little detergents and choose 30 degrees
- The best tumble drier of the island: Wind and the Sun! In case you still have to use a dryer, the laundry should be well pinned in the washing machine before (better with 1,200 instead of with 800 rotations). This is saving up to 20% of stream water.
- If you turn off the tap, switch the mixing lever of the valve afterwards to "cold". Thus the boiler does not receive an unnecessary hot water impulse the next time you open the tap.
- Inform your landlord about dripping taps and leaking toilet tanks immediately. With only 2 seconds dropping approximately 800 liters of water get lost in a year.
- Better take a shower than a bath, because a bath uses approximately three times as much water and energy
- Do not turn up the heating to 5, your flat will not become warm faster, but the use of energy is significantly higher- the best choice is 3
- Long curtains, pieces of furniture or heater disguising lead to the loss of heat and irritate the valves. The result: Behind the curtain it is warm, while in the room it is cold.
- Lower the temperature while sleeping at night by 3 – 5 °C, so you save energy during your sleep
- For a healthy climate: every degree over 20 °C requires approximately 6 per cent more heating energy.
- If you lower your ambient temperature only by 1 °C, it lowers your CO2 output significally
“If you take home a few ideas, the thoughts about climate protection will be spread over the small island.”