Matrei in Osttirol 9971, Austria
“A place in the middle of outside, where we can feel ourselves again, relax calmly, enjoy the regional ingredients that have been turned into delicious meals, and meet people that are good for us.” Hotel Outside
Authenticity, excellent service, connected with a personal atmosphere and a focus on sustainability - those are the ingredients for Hotel Outside.
Being embedded in the picturesque landscape of the Nationalpark Hohe Tauern, your sustainably designed room provides you with a fabulous view over the mountain scenery.
For your adventures, Hotel Outside equips you with e-bikes, bagpacks, nordic-walking and hiking sticks, as well as snow shows. The hotel offers suitable activities for all seasons - while in summer you can enjoy guided hiking, biking and rafting tours, winter tours and snow shoe hikes await you during winter season. Experienced mountain guides take you away into the alpine world of East Tyrol.
Who prefers absolute tranquility and relaxation to activities, may visit the Nature Spa and wellness area at Hotel Outside. The warming Zirbenstuben sauna, the treatments with mountain hay and regional alpine herbs or the special glacier peeling and the natural bathing pond achieve true relaxation wonders.
Hungry from the day’s experience and the pure East Tyrol mountain air, you will be spoilt with fresh regional and homemade specialties.
- Best location in the Alps
- Luxurious rooms made of natural material
- Nature spa and natural bathing pond
- Regional cuisine
- Guided tours with mountain experts
being local - authentic experiences
Rooms & Amenities
40 rooms in different categories: Hill room, Nature Suite, Nature Suite PLUS, Pine Wood Suite, Tyrol Suite and Outside Suite
Nature Spa on 600 m²
- sauna world with rock crystal – brine grotto 45 °C, Zirbenstubensauna 90 °C, Aroma steam bath 40 °C, infrared cabin
- heated indoor pool, Kneipp basin and adventure shower (indoor)
- relaxation room with water bed and swing bed
- Natural bathing pond, Kneipp Trail, Glacier Peeling
- Equipped with sunbathing lawn and cozy nests to relax
- own locker at the ski and bike basement
- refreshing drinks and teas
- free wifi
History & Philosophy
For several years, host family Ganzer invests time, energy as well as heart and soul into Hotel Outside. For the hosts, untouched nature is an unparalleled source of power, so they would like to actively participate in maintaining it the way it is.
Therefore, active environmental protection is as important as genuine hospitality. And this philosophy can be felt immediately!
With loving attention to detail, the family designs and characterizes the hotel with a personal touch. Just recently, the hotel was newly renovated. The rooms have been designed individually with regional natural material as well as interesting details.
- Environmental Certificates
- People and Social Commitment
- Environmental Protection
- Flora and Fauna
- Breakfast in bio quality
- Self made products: home-backed bread, marmelade, healthy bread chips
- Vegetables from own cultivation
- Regional purchase of cheese, sausage, eggs, etc.
- Gourmet kitchen has a regional focus
- The restaurant offers a variety of vegetarian dishes, focus is on conscious meat consumption
- Nature Spa
- Pine wood sauna
- Natural bathing pond
- Use of mountain hay, goat butter milk and alpine herbs from the region
- eco shampoo and soap in the rooms
- TINAPUR (from „Tyrol Nature Pure“) cooperation with the local pharmacy: highly effective and natural oils, peelings, creams are produced after own prescription with ingredients in bio quality
- Sustainable material – pine wood, clay and leather
- Natural stone from 18 kilometer radius
- Upcycling of material, e.g. 25year old doors have been newly refurbished; old lamps have been refurbished by local craftsmen
- Refillable soap and shampoo dispenser
- Use of carpet tiles for less waste
- Staff trainings and transfer values regarding waste separation and prevention
People and Social Commitment
- Strengthening regional cycle – employment of regional staff, regional craftsmen, receive products from regional distributors, etc
- great focus on work life balance
- Management actively exemplifies sustainable lifestyle
- Spontaneous social events: e.g. support of local SOS children’s village, invitation of mountain rescue team for dinner at the hotel, etc
- Regular staff trainings regarding labels and certifications:
- Austrian environmental labels
- European ECO-Label
- Climate Alliance Tyrol
- Luxury Eco-Hotel of the Year 2016
- To support the travel by public transport, hotel Outside offers a free transfer from Lienz train station; with the hiking taxi, the transfer to (also individually planned) hiking tours is organized
- Water saving through water saving attachment in water tap and shower heads
- Hot water from long-distance heating
- Selfregulating natural bathing pond
- Over 95% LED lighting
- District heating – emission-free from the village
- No minibars available in standard rooms
- No air conditioning; instead the rooms are shaded by blinds and cooled by intelligent air circulation
Flora and Fauna
- Garden area with native plants
- Own herb and vegetable growing
- Production of salves and soaps from regional herbs